Do you know your passenger rights when you are denied boarding or your flight is canceled or delayed?
What are my rights when I’m denied boarding?
You could be denied boarding for one of the following reasons:
- For safety, security or health reasons or if you don’t have the correct travel documents
- If you didn’t take the outbound flight of a reservation which included a return flight
- If you didn’t take the other flight(s) included in a reservation with consecutive flights
- If you don’t have the relevant documentation for your pet when it is traveling with you
If you have presented yourself on time for the check-in with a valid flight reservation and travel documentation and you’re denied boarding due to overbooking or for operational reasons, and you don’t voluntarily give up your seat, you are entitled to:
- the right to choose between reimbursement, re-routing or rebooking at a later stage and
What are my rights when my flight is canceled?
Cancellation by the law occurs when:
- your original flight schedule is abandoned and you are transferred to another scheduled flight
- the aircraft took off but, was forced to return to the airport of departure and you were transferred to another flight
- your flight arrives at an airport which is not the final destination indicated on your ticket, unless:
- You accepted re-routing (under comparable transport conditions at the earliest opportunity) to the airport of your original final destination or to any other destination agreed by you. In this case it is considered as a delay and not a cancellation.
- The airport of arrival and the airport of the original final destination serve the same town, city or region. In this case, it is considered as a delay and not a cancellation.
If your flight is canceled you have the right to
- reimbursement, re-routing or return
- a compensation. Compensation is due if you were informed less than 14 days prior to the scheduled departure date. The air carrier has the obligation to prove it and when you were personally informed that the flight was canceled.
However, compensation is not due if the carrier can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.
What are my rights when the flight is delayed?
If your flight is delayed at departure, you have the right to assistance, to reimbursement and a return flight, depending on the duration of the delay and the distance of the flight.
If you arrived at your final destination with a delay of more than 3 hours, you are entitled to compensation, unless the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances.
Keep in mind also that the airline is obligated to transport you to your final destination using comparable alternative means, or having your ticket refunded and, where relevant, be returned free of charge to your initial departure point.
In addition, if you are denied boarding, your flight is canceled or arrives more than 3 hours late on arrival at the final destination stated on your ticket, you may be entitled to compensation of €250 – 600, depending on the distance of the flight.
We know your rights and we can protect them!
Please, contact us for more information regarding your rights. Our lawyers will fully support you claiming your compensation!